Re: psqlodbc-08_00_0101 does not work with Ms Access

From: Zlatko Matić <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr>
To: "Christof Thalhofer" <devnull(at)deganius(dot)de>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psqlodbc-08_00_0101 does not work with Ms Access
Date: 2005-07-24 17:35:03
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi, Christof.

I'm not an expert, but I experienced the same troubles with MS
Access/Postgres in the past, so I think I can help you.
I also experienced the trouble with deinstalation of ODBC driver 08_00_0101
and thought that previous versions of drivers are better...
Well, it is not true! You will experience the same "#Deleted" with older
versions of ODBC driver, just leave Access connected to Postgres for two
hours...
You can't solve "#Deleted" by installing previous versions of ODBC drivers,
because the problem will remain although you will not realise it so
quickly...
You can solve it only by modifying your database on Postgres. You must
provide good primary keys to Access.
First of all, don't use varchar(x) primary keys or primary keys combined of
several columns! You must use non-floating NUMERICAL field (long) as primary
key. The best is to use autoincrement (BIGSERIAL) field as primary key.
So, add bigserial fields to all your tables, make them primary keys and it
will solve your problems with "#Deleted". The resolution is quite simple.
It definitely solved my problems and my Access aplication works quite good
now, with Postgre 8.0.3 and ODBC driver 08_00_0101.

Greetings,

Zlatko