A minor bug and a complaint

From: "Nikola Milutinovic" <Nikola(dot)Milutinovic(at)ev(dot)co(dot)yu>
To: "PostgreSQL general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: A minor bug and a complaint
Date: 2002-02-25 14:00:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all.

First off, PostgreSQL 7.2; pg_ctl script has a bug I'm unable to locate. When I try to run it, I get the following:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: invalid argument --

Somehow, "--" gets appended to the command line. No big deal, I can start postmaster manually.

My complaint is about one other "feature" - pg_dump. It doesn't dump database encoding. I have several databases on the system and they use different encodings ("UNICODE" and "LATIN2"). "pg_dump" forgets to add the encoding atribute for the database, which is problematic.

Earlier versions didn't even have a man page stating how to create a database from SQL with encoding. In 7.2 at least that is in the docs"

CREATE DATABASE "www" WITH ENCODING = "UNICODE";

Any chance of pg_dump being corrected to dump encoding, as well?

Nix.