RE: [HACKERS] 6.5.1 status

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Thomas Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] 6.5.1 status
Date: 1999-07-01 01:33:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Neither of these two can be added to version 6.5.1...the minor releases
> > are meant to be 'non-dump/initdb, bug fix only' releases, and, at least
> > for number 1, adding a numeric_ops would require a dump/reload ...

I see.

> This could be done as a contrib package for the v6.5.x series. Are you
> interested in doing this?

Hmmm,I don't know the right way to do so.

AFAIC it is necessary to insert new OID entries into pg_opclass.h and
pg_amproc.h . Is it right ? And is it all ?
If so,I would try.
BTW how do I get new System OID ?

> > As for the TRUNCATE, take a look at the oracle_compat.c file in util/adt
> > and supply a patch that will add the appropriate functionality, and I
> > don't see why it can't b eadded fo r6.6 ...
>
> If TRUNCATE is some "stringy function thing", then that is the place
> to look. Isn't it some table deletion short-circuit capability
> though?? If so, it is not as trivial...

TRUNCATE statement deletes all rows of the target table quickly and
could not be rollbacked.
Marcus Mascari [mascarim(at)yahoo(dot)com] posted a patch today.
At first glance his story seems right,though it needs more checking.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp