Re: [GENERAL] Re: [SQL] sql 92 support in postgres

From: "K(dot)T(dot)" <kanet(at)calmarconsulting(dot)com>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, <eric(at)broken(dot)net>
Cc: "PGSQL-General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [SQL] sql 92 support in postgres
Date: 1999-03-25 19:59:57
Lists: pgsql-general

I second the opinion that postgreSQL implements a very flexible and
extensive set of SQL functionality.

$2000 is chump change if the application is a mission critical one. The
Costs of losing the data or downtime of the database easily exceed $2000 (in
probably the first minutes of downtime). I think in your choice of
databases this is one of the more important factors to consider. There are
also many competitors to Oracle too out there which you might want to
consider...

PostgreSQL is great especially since its free. It fills the niche nicely
for low cost med intensity applications like small/med size business
e-commerce apps. I don't think I would want to run something like a multi
national manufacturing firm's real time data acquisition system off of the
database.