varchar problem after installing postgresql-8.0.1 on windows

From: "Marco Tamanti" <tama(at)inwind(dot)it>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: varchar problem after installing postgresql-8.0.1 on windows
Date: 2005-02-06 03:35:41
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Before installing version 8.0.1 of postgresql on windows 2000 SP4, I was
in this situation:

postgresql 7.3.4 on a linux machine
pgsqlodbc-07_03_0100
Borland C++Builder 4 updated Pack 1.

After installing postgresql-8.0.1 on the same machine where I run
C++Builder, I've had a problem with varchar (or character varying):
When I run applications built with c++builder I get the error
"<ComponentName>: field '<fieldName>' not found.", where <ComponentName>
and <fieldName> are appropriate values.
With Database Explorer, I can see that all the information on the tables
are correct and that the fields are there.
If I enter an SQL statement "select * from tablename" the result does
not contain varchar fields.
If I do "select fieldname from tablename" where fieldname is a varchar
field, I get the column with all empty values.

Using pgadmin none of these problems appear. All queries are ok.

The same problem appears even if I connect to the old postgres 7.3.4 on
linux. This, after the installation of the 8.0.1 version.
I've tried to reinstall Windows 2000, C++Builder (now version 5),
pgsqlodbc-07_03_0200 and the old database 7.3.4 on linux was perfectly
responding. After installing postgres 8.0.1 on windows the problem came
out again.

Even when I remove postgres 8.0.1 the problem persist.
I suppose there's a problem on odbc driver, but I tried to install it
again with no result. I tried to reinstall C++Builder and no result
again.

Anyone with the same problem? Any solution?

I'm using SQL_ASCII coding. Most of testing has been done on a
varchar(50) field, not null, storage extended.

Thanks,
Marco Tamanti