Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..

From: "Christian Klemke" <Christian(dot)Klemke(at)t-online(dot)de>
To: "pgsql-hackers-win32" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] More SSL questions..
Date: 2005-01-08 00:01:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Folks,

I've been following this discussion for some time now and I think that you
are losing the focus. I mean, who is your target audience ? How many people
may be out there who have the technical knowledge to put the correct
settings in the database config files but do not know how to open and modify
them just because they do not pop up using simple double clicks ? [The same
goes for the hidden/not hidden directory discussion, BTW.]

Therefore, I'd like to suggest to consider the following solutions:

1. Use the ".ini" extension. Ini files contain plain text, are associated
with notepad.exe by default and will show up as "Configuration Settings" in
the explorer. It doesn't matter if they do not fully comply with the default
ini file format in case of Postgres, as long as they are not accessed by the
corresponding special API functions.

or

2. Use a Postgres specific extension like ".pgconfig" and let the installer
create a proper file type association. I suppose most Windows users will use
the installer (and those who don't will know how to handle the files
manually). Alternatively/Additionally, the installer might also set up a
link like "Modify configuration file" in the program group associated with a
"notepad <path><file>" command. The Apache HTTP server installer does
something similar for its "httpd.conf" file, IIRC. This would also "bypass"
the hidden directory issue.

What do you think ?

Best regards,
Christian.