Re: MS Access out-performs PostgreSQL 7?

From: "Joseph Sircy" <webmaster(at)dnhawaii(dot)com>
To: "Jacopo Silva" <jacoposilva(at)tin(dot)it>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MS Access out-performs PostgreSQL 7?
Date: 2000-07-20 00:49:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Ok, once again let me make this clear...

We are not thinking of using access for our dataserver, your right, its NOT
a data SERVER. My question simply was, why does a program like access, which
is not a data server, outperform pgsql in our comparison??

I know if we loaded it down with large amounts of data and 10s of thousands
of users, access wouldn't even think of keeping up, we are aware of this.

But.. in our tests, we have
1. a 400mhz web server, running IIS 4.0
2. a 400mhz database server running postgress AND has the access database on
it.
So its not a question of machine, its a question of software.
There are 4 tests done on each database each time the page loads.
1. insert a record of 10 rows into the databases
2. select * from the table (seems to be the longest test for pgsql)
3. update col 1 in every record
4. update col 6 in every record where col 1 = "some_criteria"

So thats it. REMEMBER, we are not going to use access! so please dont reply
about how access cant keep up in a production server enviroment, believe us,
we know!

Joe Sircy
Webmaster
dnhawaii.com