Re: connection pool

From: "Peter Hofer" <peter(dot)hofer(at)ics(dot)at>
To: 'Hervé Piedvache' <herve(at)elma(dot)fr>, <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: connection pool
Date: 2006-08-01 09:46:43
Lists: pgsql-php
Hy

Thanks for your answer

As far as i know " pgsql.max_persistent " limits the no on
Persistent Connections per apache client - and not for all
Apaches - so I set it "pgsql.max_persistent = 1" since we
Connect to the same DB all the time

Currently we got 2 Servers runnung with persistent Connection,
and 2 Server with non-persitent connections

Right now i have 359 progres running, 345 are idle.

If I set the other servers to persistent connections, too, I will have
About 700 progres running - 95% on idle
They all take memory ...

I will have to expand up to 10 and more WebServers in near future
Therefore persistent-Connection (because of the memory amount to handle 1500
Connection) nor
Non-persistent-Connection (because of forking ) is a suitable way

What I think about, is a maschine getting all the Connections from the
Apache, and
Forward only those to the DB whitch are not idle

Any idea ?

Thanks

Peter