wild cards in pg_hba.conf

From: "Glenn" <glenn(at)tangelosoftware(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: wild cards in pg_hba.conf
Date: 2006-07-19 11:46:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all

I have a user I allow to create databases. At the moment he just "echo
NewDBName >>pgdbnames.txt" and there is a @HisDBFiles type entry against
his name in pg_hba.conf under the database column. Problem with this reigiem
is I have to reload the database for him each time for it to take effect (on
debian I just /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.0 reload).

What Im hoping is I can just have a wild card entry instead of @... under
the database column say, like

host cheshire% cheshire 127.0.0.1/32 password

(where Cheshire is his username).

This way any db name that starts which Cheshire will use password from
localhost for user Cheshire

Is something like this possible?

Alternatively, though less cool, is there a way he can provoke a 'reload' of
the pg_hba.conf file with out having too much authority ?

Thanks

glenn