no entry on pg_database for a live database

From: "Mark Steben" <msteben(at)autorevenue(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: no entry on pg_database for a live database
Date: 2008-01-22 16:05:02
Lists: pgsql-admin
I have a situation I thought was impossible.

I have a live postgres database with 4 application tables.  I can access it
through PSQL.

But there is no record of this database on the PG_DATABASE catalog table.

And I therefore cannot perform a PG_DUMP backup because it errors with,

You guessed it, 'No entry on pg_database'  We haven't done backups

As these are workfile temporary tables. But I've primed one of these

Tables with permanent data for performance.

I'm running version 7.4.5.   Do I have to do a drop-recreate or is there

Some other way around this?

Any ideas would be appreciated

Mark Steben

Senior Database Administrator
@utoRevenueT
A Dominion Enterprises Company
480 Pleasant Street
Suite B200
Lee, MA 01238
413-243-4800 Home Office
413-243-4809 Corporate Fax

msteben <blocked::mailto:name(at)autorevenue(dot)com> @autorevenue.com

Visit our new website at
 <blocked::http://www.autorevenue.com/> www.autorevenue.com

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential
and is intended only for the named addressee(s). If the reader of this
e-mail message is not the intended recipient (or the individual responsible
for the delivery of this e-mail message to the intended recipient), please
be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
e-mail message is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in
error, please reply to the sender that you have received this e-mail message
in error and then delete it.  Thank you.

Come Visit Us at NADA!  Booth #5735N
February 9th - February 12th
Moscone Center in San Francisco, CA

pgsql-admin by date