Re: C locale sort in src/tools/make_ctags - solved

From: "Nicolai Tufar" <ntufar(at)pisem(dot)net>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: C locale sort in src/tools/make_ctags - solved
Date: 2004-02-02 21:25:30
Lists: pgsql-patches

Thanks to Peter Eisentraut, Bruce Momjian and Tom Lane.
With the second CVS commit by Bruce Momjian it works fine now.

Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> > On second look, the patch is completely wrong anyway, because it
does
> > not export the variables; it depends on the user having exported
them
> > beforehand.

I stand corrected.

> I saw that, but it seemed a non-problem to me: if the variables have
not
> been exported then they won't affect the sort program anyway.
[...]
> What I suspect is that Nicolai's environment supplies an explicit
value
> for LC_COLLATE, overriding both LC_ALL and LANG. If we want to be
> bulletproof against that, then none of the proposals in this thread
are
> correct, and the correct patch is
>
> + LC_COLLATE=C
> + export LC_COLLATE

In my environment everything but LANG is set to tr_TR:
$ locale
LANG=tr_TR
LC_CTYPE="tr_TR"
LC_NUMERIC="tr_TR"
LC_TIME="tr_TR"
LC_COLLATE="tr_TR"
LC_MONETARY="tr_TR"
LC_MESSAGES="tr_TR"
LC_PAPER="tr_TR"
LC_NAME="tr_TR"
LC_ADDRESS="tr_TR"
LC_TELEPHONE="tr_TR"
LC_MEASUREMENT="tr_TR"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="tr_TR"
LC_ALL=
$

Method you suggested:
LC_COLLATE=C
export LC_COLLATE
works fine too.

Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> OK, new code is:
>
> LC_ALL=C
> export LC_ALL
> sort tags >/tmp/$$ && mv /tmp/$$ tags