Comment on pg_catalog and information_schema objects

From: "Tom Hebbron" <tom(at)hebbron(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Comment on pg_catalog and information_schema objects
Date: 2003-11-19 00:51:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi list,

First of all, many thanks to everyone who contributed to 7.4 - I'm just
starting to rebuild parts of our CMS to make use of some of the new
features - very welcome indeed.

Whilst looking through the new information_schema objects in the DB, and
browsing the documentation for these objects, it occurred to me that
this information is not available _inside_ the DB.
I began looking at /doc/src/sgml/catalogs.sgml to see how easy it would
be to convert the descriptions of the views/tables/columns into "COMMENT
ON (VIEW|TABLE|COLUMN) xx[.yy] IS 'zz';" statements. I imagine that
someone who has worked with SGML before would be able to knock up this
transformation pretty quick(?) so I'll try appealing here before getting
my hands dirty attempting to try it myself.

Is there any reason not to have the system objects commented in this way
in the installation?

--
Tom Hebbron