createdb: could not connect

From: "stephenc" <mail(at)xesoftware(dot)com(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: createdb: could not connect
Date: 2007-03-25 19:35:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am trying to do 1.3 of help - that is create a database.

I'm om winmdows XP.

I have installed postgresql. I can open tools like pgAdmin.

I have two command prompt screens I can get up from the all programs menu:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\bin>createdb mydb

Password:

createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: password
authenticatio

n failed for user "stephenc"

and

Type: \copyright for distribution terms

\h for help with SQL commands

\? for help with psql commands

\q to quit

Warning: Console code page (437) differs from Windows code page (1252)

8-bit characters may not work correctly. See psql reference

page "Notes for Windows users" for details.

postgres=# makedb mydb

postgres-#

As you can see neither of them did what was meant to happen which is I
should have got the response:

CREATE DATABASE

I think this is something to do with the password, but now I am lost. Can
someone tell me how to set the password? Incidentally, I never created a
user stephenc. That is just the name of my user account on the xp box.

Any help most welcome.

Stephen Choularton

0413 545 182