Own opclass and LIKE problem again!

From: "Antal Attila" <antal(dot)attila(at)ritek(dot)hu>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Own opclass and LIKE problem again!
Date: 2004-04-26 10:07:33
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi!

Thank you very much the answers for my previous 'Multi ordered select
and indexing' question!
I tried your suggestions, and those are working well. We found a problem
when used '(-col2)' instead of 'col2 DESC'. This solution working as a
functional index and in our experience when the planner evaluates the
cost of using this functional index, it uses 0.5% of the table's size.
Usually this estimate is bad, and the query is slow. Why is it working
such? Preferably should I ask this on the HACKERS or PERFORMANCE list?

But my main question how can I force the LIKE operator for using my own
operator class. I can create own LIKE operator, but it won't use my
reverse order operator class (and its indexes). How can I exchange the
standard LIKE operator with my own, which use my special reverse order

For examle: (~~ means LIKE)
col ~~ 'asd%' working as ((col >= 'asd'::text) AND (col <
'ase'::text))
I'd like to see the next:
col /~~ 'asd%' working as ((col />= 'asd'::text) AND (col /<
'ase'::text))

Can somebody help us?

Thanks in advance.
Antal Attila