Re: Multi-byte character bug

From: "Richard So" <richso(at)i-cable(dot)com>
To: "'Tatsuo Ishii'" <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi-byte character bug
Date: 2002-07-31 17:23:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Ok ! I will post to the jdbc and odbc thread for help !

> > The character code is 0xc05c, in which the second byte is
> actually a
> > "\"
> > (back-slash)
> > (pls see the attached file: offence2.zip)
>
> There's no character code in EUC_TW (CNS 11643-1992)
> corresponding to Big5 0xc05c. That's why PostgreSQL complains.

But I've created another db using MULE_INTERNAL encoding, the same error
reported, why ?
Why don't Postgres directly support BIG5 in server side as BIG5 is the
main encoding using for Traditional Chinese communities, i.e. HK &
Taiwan ? As EUC_TW do not have complete correspondings char in BIG5,
this will seriously prevent the Traditional Chinese communities for
using Postgresql !