Re: BUG #16488: psql installation initdb

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: spacexnasafbi(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16488: psql installation initdb
Date: 2020-06-09 15:10:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> when i type this command this happens : initdb --locale en_US.UTF-8 -D
> /var/lib/postgres/data/data
> /usr/bin/postgres: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.67:

Well, that seems pretty straightforward: you don't have libicui18n,
or at least you don't have the right version of it.

Does
ls /usr/lib*/libicui18n*
show anything? I don't know anything about blackarch but on
a Fedora 32 box I see
/usr/lib64/libicui18n.so.65
/usr/lib64/libicui18n.so.65.1

If you don't see anything, perhaps you just need to install libicu.
If you do but it's not version 67, then you have a version-skew
problem, and you might have to recompile Postgres to make it work
with the libicu version that your distro provides.

Either way, I wonder how you got into this situation. Any reasonable
package manager would have insisted on installing a compatible libicu
version along with Postgres. Did you override such warnings at install?