Re: BUG #15901: Tablespace showing as null in psql and pgadmin

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ishanjoshi(at)live(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15901: Tablespace showing as null in psql and pgadmin
Date: 2019-07-09 14:39:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> As I have created separate tablespace (Not using default tablespace
> pg_default or pg_global) for my new database. I have tried to create tables
> with and without tablespace parameter and both these tables while checking
> in pg_table, tablespace column showing as null. I tried to extract from
> other tables but getting tablespace as null only.

The case you showed isn't a bug: creating a table that's specified to be
in the database's default tablespace is treated the same as not specifying
any tablespace. This is because if you change the database's default
tablespace later, such a table will be moved along with every other table
that's in the database's default tablespace.