Re: BUG #16497: old and new pg_controldata WAL segment sizes are invalid or do not match

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, ram(dot)maurya(at)lavainternational(dot)in, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16497: old and new pg_controldata WAL segment sizes are invalid or do not match
Date: 2020-06-18 18:11:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Greetings,

* Bruce Momjian (bruce(at)momjian(dot)us) wrote:

> > > Do you know why we require this step?
> > >
> > > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/pgupgrade.html
> > >
> > > Also, change wal_level to replica in the postgresql.conf file on
> > > the new primary cluster.
> >
> > Well, we'll need wal_level to be at least replica if we're going to have
> > replicas streaming from the primary..
>
> But how do they have replicas if wal_level = minimum? Also, why not
> higher replication levels? Should we adjust that doc text?

I think the comment is saying that pg_resetwal will rewrite the
pg_control with a WAL level of minimal and that's the issue and why
the server needs to be brought up with a higher WAL level temporarily,
so that pg_control gets updated, for the new cluster.

Of course, before pg_upgrade is run, the old cluster would need to be up
and running with a wal_level higher than minimal in order to have
replicas in the first place, but what we're really talking about here is
the new, upgraded, cluster.

I do think the doc could probably say replica 'or higher'.

Thanks,

Stephen