Re: BUG #16143: PGTYPEStimestamp_fmt_asc() returns the incorrect month when the format specifier %b is used.

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: paul(at)intekon(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16143: PGTYPEStimestamp_fmt_asc() returns the incorrect month when the format specifier %b is used.
Date: 2019-11-29 20:38:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/interfaces/ecpg/pgtypeslib/timestamp.c;h=810dd06ee68b9e39bfbb8d1fb4b58b8205f24246;hb=HEAD
>- The month number is converted to the abbreviation at line 337 in
>dttofmtasc_replace() defined in timestamp.c
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/interfaces/ecpg/pgtypeslib/timestamp.c;h=810dd06ee68b9e39bfbb8d1fb4b58b8205f24246;hb=HEAD
>- Month abbreviations are defined at line 499 in dt_common.c

>https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/interfaces/ecpg/pgtypeslib/dt_common.c;h=c1a3a3e2cb7e2d4f375a3b1a2e858f7347a867ea;hb=HEAD

Yeah, seems like a simple off-by-one mistake. Our tm->tm_mon is 1-based,
but dttofmtasc_replace uses it directly to access elements of arrays
with month names. Hence the "next" month is returned, and crash for the
last month (access out of bounds).

The attached patch should fix this, I believe - both for %b and %B.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
ecpg-month-index-fix.patch text/plain 846 bytes